Our firm has experience to understand your business needs and the capacity to handle all areas of marine litigation work. Whatever the type of vessel, cargo or commodity, we will protect your interests and work with you to provide the solution you require.
Litigation may be a necessary phase if the parties are still unable to resolve amicably their differences. In litigation, the prevailing party is often the one with the most experienced and skilled counsel. Our firm offers comprehensive, specialist marine legal advice with a reputation for strength in depth and a strong commercial focus. Whether representing individuals or corporations, our philosophy is to minimize the tactical sparring that too often accompanies litigation and to proceed promptly and efficiently to a resolution based on merits.
In marine litigation, we seek to minimize the disruption from a lawsuit through a thorough and early understanding of a client’s business, concerns, and goals. We then evaluate the factual and legal settings and formulate a strategy designed to accomplish the client’s goals as quickly and efficiently as possible. This may mean an early settlement or a fast-track discovery and pre-trial schedule.
We have the specialist experience to understand your business needs and the capacity to handle all areas of marine litigation work. Whatever the type of vessel, cargo or commodity, we will protect your interests and work with you to provide the solution you require.
In marine litigation, our firm represents clients in all aspects of maritime disputes, including contracts, business disputes, bankruptcy, and personal injury defence; marine casualties and P&I issues; freight, demurrage, and defence insurance claims; charter party disputes; insurance coverage and subrogation matters; salvage and general average claims; bankruptcy; environmental matters; internal investigations; and criminal defence.
The firm represents also maritime clients in all types of non-maritime corporate and commercial disputes. We handle complex and multi-jurisdictional matters for international maritime and commercial litigation. When maritime executives face civil and criminal charges, or when their companies are threatened by unreasonable regulatory action, Achour Law Firm is armed with an international team of defence lawyers who focus on the maritime industry.
We have in-depth knowledge in defending criminal, civil, and administrative enforcement actions; responding to environmental incidents and other casualties, both on vessels and at waterfront facilities and assisting those subject to government investigations.
In marine litigation, we handle matters in the following areas :
- Charter party and contract disputes.
- Vessel construction/shipbuilding disputes.
- Ship arrests and attachments.
- Cargo claims.
- Freight, demurrage, and defence insurance claims.
- Insurance coverage and subrogation matters.
- Protection and indemnity claims.
- Marine commercial disputes.
- Salvage and general average claims.
- Marine casualties.
- Collisions, groundings, and sinkings.
- Defence of criminal, civil, and administrative actions.
- Mediation and alternative dispute resolution.
- Internal and government investigations.
Maritime Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
Many disputes can best be resolved through alternative dispute resolution, which can include negotiation, mediation, and arbitration. Using maritime arbitrators to resolve disputes can be quick, cost-effective, and can avoid negative publicity. ADR also allows the continued conduct of other commercial arrangements by isolating the matter in dispute.
Our marine litigation services include:
We can help you with:
- Bunker disputes.
- Cargo loss and damage.
- Charter parties.
- Contracts of affreightment.
- E-commerce and electronic bills of lading.
- General average disputes.
- International trade and commodities.
- Maritime fraud investigation and litigation.
- P&I and defence work.
- Personal injury.
- Port agency and terminal contracts.
- Shipping competition law.
- Ship sale and purchase disputes.
- Unsafe port and berth disputes.
- Vessel sharing, slot charter and pooling agreements.
We can also help you with: